Monday 30 May 2011

Review - A Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971 - Dir. Mario Bava)


This starts really well. Beautiful opening music and then into nearly ten minutes of no dialogue. The initial scene plays on the staples of the giallo. An unknown killer wearing his/her murdering gloves and, of course, you don't get to see their face. Er, sorry... you do get to see their face. But I won't spoil it any more than that.

This opening sets up a string of murders that obviously inspired Friday the 13th; one scene was homaged/blatantly half-inched for Friday the 13th Part 2. Some effective gore, crazy sixties dancing, quality hair cuts (yes, you Roberto!), best film title ever and a naked lady running along a jetty all adds up to an enjoyable grindhouse classic. Thrown into the mix is the gorgeous Bond girl, Claudine Auger and a great ending that I doubt you'll see coming, so I'm not sure why I haven't rated it higher. Maybe the slasher films that have come later have weakened its impact. 


I think that I need to give this one repeat viewings because it has stuck in my head since I saw it, in no small part thanks to the music by Stelvio Cipriani. Don't be surprised if the rating goes up over time. A film where virtually everyone dies can't be that bad, can it? Oh, and it's got a cool trailer.
6/10
evlkeith



If you like this you could try:
Blood and Black Lace, Lizard in a Woman's Skin, Cat o' Nine Tails.



No comments:

Post a Comment